The usage of LPG cylinders is very common and people use it to cook food in the kitchen. These cylinders are also used in hotels for the same purpose. Gas leaks are a very common problem and this can be due to the age of the cylinder, improper usage, and many others. Here we will discuss gas leakage, its causes, and prevention.
Gas leakages are common incidents but pose a significant danger in most of the homes. If you face the problem of gas leaks at home, you should immediately look for professionals to fix the problem. Simultaneously, you have to take some steps on your own to resolve the issue in no time and without any damage to life and property.
Causes of Gas Leaks
One of the major causes of gas leakage is that the cylinder can be faulty. Gas appliances have various components that help in the flow of gas from the cylinders to the burner. Other causes can be defects in manufacturing, wear and tear of the cylinder, and the pipe that connects the cylinder to the gas appliance. The pipe wears and tears at the joints. Other causes for gas leaks can be blockage of the burner, faults in regulators, spillage of milk and other liquids, and many more. The spillage has to be cleaned regularly in order to prevent the blockage of burners.
Hazards Cause by Gas Leaks
There are many hazards that are caused due to gas leaks. These are described below
LPG is a gas that catches fire very easily when it comes in contact with air. In the situation of gas leakage, the mixing of gas with air can lead to an explosion. Many things will catch fire and it will also affect the skin of the residents. Eardrums of the people can be damaged due to the pressure caused by the explosion. There are many light things present in the house that can be thrown here and there. It can also be the reason for the loss of life. Walls and roofs can be collapsed due to this hazard.
2. Health Problems
LPG is dangerous to health. When people inhale the gas in large quantities, it cuts off the supply of oxygen, which leads to suffocation and death. There are many symptoms that show that a person has inhaled the gas. This includes dizziness, hallucination, and many others. The nervous system can also damage if people inhale the gas in small quantities. It can also lead to mood swings, depression, loss of memory, and many other health problems.
How to Check Leakage?
Here are some of the things, which people can do in order to check gas leaks.
- The gas present in the cylinder does not have any smell but during leakage, people can smell the odor. The odor is very familiar and it shows the signs of leakage.
- When the gas leaks all of a sudden, a white smog is created. People should not walk in that area as it can lead to health hazards and even died.
- If there is a problem in the pipe, it can lead to a hissing sound and people can smell the gas.
Things to Do When Gas Leaks
Here are some of the things, which people need to do in the case of gas leakage.
- There is no need to panic because this can worsen the situation.
- Leave the house as soon as possible. Pets should also evacuate the house.
- There can be many sources of fire and they should be put off.
- The regulator should be shut down and removed.
- All windows and doors should be opened to let the gas go out of the house.
- Use a blanket or a large cloth if a flame is seen.
Gas leakage is a very common problem, which can lead to minor or major accidents. The gas cylinder, pipes, and burners should be checked regularly so that the problem does not occur. If people smell the gas, they need to open all the doors and windows and call a professional to handle the gas leaks problem. Never ignore gas leakage as it can be fatal.