Everyone loves independence? And why not. Attaining and leading an independent life is a very important aspect for everyone. Parents are often concerned when it comes to their children and they are heard talking about their hobbies, their lifestyle, and most importantly their behavior. Even when their children are performing well parents wonder whether their teens are developing all the skills required to be successful in life. To understand the importance and relevance of independence it is important to let your teens try out different things independently so they can learn at their pace from mistakes as well as the experience.
Independence for children means:
- Help them being independent in executing tasks.
- Assisting them to make independent decisions while beginning with small tasks with one at a time.
- Participation in community and social activities
- Performing basic tasks in everyday life independent of one another.
So, how do parents of teenagers should know how they can help them identify their hobbies for independent living especially when their kids are specially abled. It is important to provide freedom to your children so they can explore the opportunities and can learn independently. This will help them learn important lessons in life.
Hence, when it comes to specially abled teens, how should parents strike a balance between their teen’s independence and their concerns.
- To begin with, one can start with maintaining a positive relationship with your child. It will be a great beginning. It will help maintain positive communication as well as the relationship in your family.
- Show your children a lot of respect and support to help them build their self-esteem. confidence.
- By taking an interest in their hobbies, activities, friends and their lifestyle.
- Hearing them out and making them feel confident about their decisions.
- By providing them space so they can learn independently.
- Respecting their opinions and taking their advice.
- Treat your child as per the stage of life they are in. Giving freedom to your children is important but it is important to give it in a controlled manner.
- The amount of independence you offer to your children will change with age. Be prepared and keep adapting as you move along with them.
Due to various physical, emotional changes taking place in your child’s life due to adolescence, they might be needing your consistent support and guidance. Considering their advice and ideas can give a boost to their self-esteem and help them lead confidently.
You can also speak to professionals or experts who can assist you when you are trying to deal with your specially abled teens. While dealing with such issues, experts usually help them-
- Development of personality and self-confidence.
- Help them make decisions and execute it as per the choice.
- Understand the problem solving approach and how to execute it.
- Brainstorming what to do if things don’t go well. Always planning different approaches when required.
- Giving your child consistent feedback
Experts often suggest taking the kids out and participating in community activities which helps them be confident and open up different thinking avenues. One renowned disability service provider in Australia is Star Community Care. As a registered NDIS service provider, it helps to assist personal activities by:
- Helping them learn new skills
- Assisting to help them test new abilities
- Develop confidence to take risks
Many people feel that adolescence is a tough time, due to the different mood behavior of teens. It becomes challenging for parents to deal with it. Studies have suggested that some teenagers undergo extreme turmoil during this period. During this time it is important to build strong relationships with children.
For specially abled children, helping them real their full potential might take a longer time than expected. Achieving independence can be tough for them as these children have spent the maximum time being dependent on others. When dealing with experts, your health care professional will be involved in deciding when and how your child will begin to independently manage decisions. They will deploy strategies which are individual-centric and are designed around their well being.
NDIS consultant services will assist in personal activities for disabilities NSW for an independent living.
Star Community care offers dedicated services for specially abled . Their team will work upon to increase capacity for your children. Most importantly the team will take care of basic activities and would help you groom so you can continue to perform everyday tasks independently. Its objective is to help an individual or the participant develop and maintain their personality, their confidence in the way they desire.
Learning to lead an independent life especially when the concerned participant is specially abled is a long process and it will take time. It cannot be decided to complete it in a fixed period. Experts usually understand the individual’s requirements and based on that they customize and design the plan with a sequence of activities to be involved. It’s important if you are getting in touch with any service provider, you help them understand your objectives and your expectations from the plan.