Car owners can easily opt for an auto mechanic to repair their car and replace any car parts if required. But imagine a situation when you are traveling out of the city, and your car breaks down without a mechanic in sight. It could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere and be a potential safety and health hazard.
To avoid such scenarios it is always a better idea, to have some basic knowledge about your vehicle and be able to repair any minor problems that may occur on the spot, till you can drive your vehicle to a professional auto garage. Apart from a basic knowledge of the workings of your vehicle, it is also essential to carry some car part, just in case you need them, during a sudden breakdown.
Some of the car parts that we suggest you should always carry in your car are:
1. Car Battery
In case your car refuses to start, it could be a case of a faulty battery or one that has died down. Since it may not be possible to charge your battery if it dies down in the middle of nowhere, you should consider keeping a spare battery in your car, especially if you make frequent long trips as a part of your work.
The life of a battery does not depend on the mileage of your car, so there is no precise way of knowing when it may die down or need charging to start again. As the battery weakens, you may notice some problems with the electrical components of your car, which you may consider as a sign that it needs to be replaced. Usually, the life span of a battery is 3 to 5 years, depending on the weather.
2. Spare Lights
You never know when you may have a minor accident and the lights break up since they are some of the most fragile car part. Driving without lights can be very risky at night and even lead to unwanted situations. It is therefore advisable to always carry some spare lights along, just in case you need to replace them unexpectedly.
Compared to other car part, spare tyres are usually carried by most car owners as they are very handy in case you have a flat tyre while running an important errand or out on a trip with friends. Driving with worn-out treads is very dangerous. Just make sure that the spare tyre is properly inflated and in excellent condition, so it lasts you till you can get the flat or damaged tyre replaced.
Knowing how to replace a flat tyre is also an important skill and be very useful to replace a flat tyre when there is no assistance available.
4. Spark Plugs
These tiny plugs pack offers a big punch, as they are instrumental in starting your car, by igniting the air and fuel mixture in the engine. Bad spark plugs can cause engine starting problems and also lead your car to misfire. Since they hardly take much space, you can consider carrying a couple of them in your car, as you never know when you may need one.
The most common and important car part include the following:
- Battery is needed to switch on and run the car.
- Axle is a must to keep the car rolling.
- Brakes are the key to safe and trustworthy driving.
- Pistons are a must to make the journey smooth.
- Replacing a carburetor car part called fuel injectors do the task of transferring the fuel gas from the tank to the engine.
- A radiator comes to rescue when the engine gets overheated.
- An AC compressor keeps one cool irrespective of the weather outside.
- Clutch helps in smooth driving.
- Radiator is accompanied by the fan to release the excess heat from the car.
- Unlike other car part spare tire is a non- technical one. Nevertheless it is important.
- A skilled driver might not require help to change tire when necessary. All that he needs is a car jack.
- Riding down a rough pitch is unthinkable without shock absorbers.
- Transmissions are meant for taking the power generated by the engine to the wheels.
- Spark plug forms a part of ignition chamber whose function is to use an electric spark for fuel ignition.
The proper maintenance and care of car parts ensure their longevity and optimum performance. However, given the fact that they are subject to constant wear and tear, they may break down unexpectedly. Carrying spares is a good way to minimize your downtime and get you back on the road safely, till you can access some professional car repair services.