Kitchen is one of the most important rooms or areas of your home. It is the place where you truly enjoy the art of cooking and spend many hours to prepare delicious food for you and your family members. More often than not, a modern residential kitchen is equipped with a gas stove, a microwave oven, a sink with the hot and cold water running, a mixer-grinder, a dishwasher, a refrigerator, and kitchen cabinets to store kitchen utensils & raw food materials. Crockery sets, cutlery sets, glassware, blender, toaster, and other small electrical appliances are also usually found in a residential kitchen.
Undoubtedly, the kitchen is the busiest, most happening, most important, and most delightful room in the home. You can say it as the epicenter of family life, or the symbol of a happy home and happy family. For good reasons, you always prefer to keep your kitchen organized. You always take care of making this place neat and clean, maintaining good hygiene standards. You will never like a higgledy-piggledy kitchen. It is more likely that you love your kitchen for good reasons.
Think about moving your home from one place to another. When moving to a new house, you need to transfer all your household effects. The circumstance of a home shifting will also force you to root out your well-established kitchen, whether you like it or not, for transferring kitchen items into your new home.
What if you need to shift into a new home with all your household belongings including the items of the kitchen? I know it can be a very hard time for you. But, you must accept it. Don’t give up or try to postpone your move. It might be a new and bright life is waiting for you. Let reality be a reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. Keep in mind, life is a series of natural and unprompted changes. And your move might be one of them.
You have to pack your kitchen for moving. It’s not going to be a fun chore at all. It is more likely that you will find difficulties when it comes to packing kitchen items. It is because packing up fragile kitchen items like chinaware and glassware can be a very complicated and tricky job. You will never like to see damages of your favorite crockery sets in transit. You may also find difficulties in packing up kitchen electrical appliances like refrigerator, mixer grinder, toaster, microwave oven, dishware, and coffee maker. There can be also several items in your kitchen including stove and storage units.
Packing up fragile items, kitchen furniture and awkwardly-shaped electrical appliances will consume your precious time and efforts. It can be a very challenging affair to pack kitchen safely for house moving. But you need not worry at all. I have already discussed that you should accept the challenge and take it as an opportunity. You can overcome the challenge of packing and transporting kitchen. To streamline the procedure of kitchen packing, you need to avoid silly mistakes, and start packing items a few days ahead of moving day. Use a practical kitchen packing cheat sheet that will keep everything organized and can save you a lot of time and efforts.
A Practical Cheat Sheet for Kitchen Packing and Moving
- Gathering right packing supplies
- Organizing items in the kitchen
- Packing of kitchen items, utensils and appliances
- Kitchen moving tips
Gather all the required packing supplies of good quality
Packing household items for a move is something that can be a challenging and time-consuming task. But with right techniques and using the right packing supplies you can accomplish it efficiently. To ensure the safety of your kitchen items during the moving process, you will need an assortment of quality packing supplies. Make sure to gather adequate amounts of the essential packing material well in advance. It is because you will never like to bear an extra burden of rushing into stores for extra supplies. Last minute shopping for packing supplies may cost you dearly. You will need the following packing supplies.
Essential packing materials
In the case of the standard size of a kitchen, you will need the following types of boxes and cartons.
- 15-20 strong medium-sized moving boxes for items like cutlery sets, pots & pans, small appliances and various other cooking utensils.
- 5-7 dish-pack boxes for packing your breakables like chinaware, dishes, plates and crockery sets
- A few dish barrels for packing glasses, bottles and stemware
If you cannot afford the cost of specialty boxes then at least make sure that you get some small and sturdy boxes that can provide the appropriate protection for your breakables.
Wrapping sheet (packing paper)
Gather plenty of clean paper or wrapping sheet. You will need a wrapping sheet or paper to wrap your delicate items. Proper wrapping will provide the appropriate protection between individual pieces and layers. You will also need wrapping sheets or papers to fill the remaining empty spaces in the boxes. If you cannot afford the cost of expensive wrapping sheet or packing paper then you can use old newspapers for wrapping and shredded paper for cushioning. But keep in mind, newspaper ink can give an ugly mark on the delicate surfaces of your items like plates, glasses and crockery sets. So, it is a wise decision to wrap items in unprinted paper first.
How to Sort out and Organize Kitchen Items
Undoubtedly, the process of packing and moving in ahmedabad is stressful. But if you are thinking positively and accepting the challenge as an opportunity then the process can be less stressful. Remember, moving into a new home is a good opportunity to live a clutter-free life ahead. On your move, you will get a good opportunity to get rid of junk, useless, broken, unwanted, and damaged items. You can also get rid of old belongings or surplus items that you rarely use.
For example, if you have an extra coffee maker in your kitchen then it does not make any sense to pack and move it. You can either donate it or sell it. If you have some broken kitchen utensils, crockery sets and other useless items then you must get rid of them before the moving day. This will also save you money because the fewer items you will have to pack and move the less money you will have to spend. It is a simple funda.
So, invest your time in sorting out and organizing your kitchen items. Look into each and every corner of your kitchen including every kitchen cabinet & drawer, above the shelves and under the sink. You may need to involve yourself in the following actions.
Tips for organizing a kitchen for moving
Declutter your kitchen
Explore your kitchen area. Put aside those items you don’t use or don’t intend to use in your new residence. There can be some items which can be replaced with new ones because of the cost of new ones and the cost of packing & moving are almost the same. So, it’s better to replace such items. There can be some items in your current kitchen that cannot fit in the kitchen of your new home. Again you need to replace such items. If you are willing to improvise your new kitchen with newer models of kitchen appliances again you don’t need to pack the same. Put all these items aside. You can sell these items online or at a garage sale at your current residence. This will pocket you some extra money. You can also donate to charity, or give them away to your neighbours and friends.
Set aside the kitchen essentials
You will need some items during a couple of days in your old home and the first couple of days in your new home. Set aside such essential kitchen items. Such items can be plates, glasses, bottles, a multi-purpose pot, towels, tissue papers, basic cleaning supplies, etc. Keep in mind, you should never pack these items earlier. These items should be the last ones you will pack for your move. Clearly mark the box with an appropriate tag like “KITCHEN ESSENTIALS – OPEN ME FIRST”.
Pack items first you won’t need before moving day
It’s likely that your kitchen contains some items that you use very rarely on special occasions. Such items can be expensive silverware, crystal glasses, barbecue tongs, cookie cutters, cake plates, ice-cream cups, condiment dishes, extra dishes, extra crockery sets, storage containers, etc. You can also consider small appliances on the list because you don’t use your mixer-grinder, blender or electric coffee maker on a daily basis. You must pack these items a couple of days ahead of moving day because last-minute packing may result in severe mistake and lots of headaches.
Sort out your food
You know well that it is not a sensible decision to transport perishable items such as fresh fruits & vegetables and dairy products. You should start consuming food items earlier so that you cannot have remaining food on your moving day. Most moving companies don’t transport perishable items. So, it is better to consume them. If you cannot consume all your food then consider donating them. You can donate food items to nearby shelters, charity, orphanage or other important establishments that accept the same.
Get rid of hazardous & perishable materials
Most moving companies will say a big NO to moving hazardous and inflammable materials such as gay cylinder, cleaning products, kerosene, fuel, cooking oil, candles, etc. They may also refuse to transport perishable food or dairy products packed with the rest of your household belongings. So, make sure there are not hazardous, inflammable and perishable materials.
Tips for packing particular kitchen items
Packing Kitchen Cupboards
You will need to spend many hours sorting through a large number of assorted items found in your kitchen cupboard shelves and drawers. It can be certain a time-consuming and challenging task to organize and pack the cupboard. You may face lots of difficulties while packing the kitchen. It is strongly recommended that you should first start with kitchen cupboards. First, sort and pack the messiest drawers and then move towards the neatly arranged crockery sets, plates, bowls, glassware, and so on. Get rid of any unwanted items while sorting through and packing the kitchen cupboards. Organize items according to the type and frequency of use. Label the box with a more specific tag. For example, use the tag “Kitchen: Cooking Utensils” to label a box that contains cooking utensils inside. Use the tag “Kitchen: Crockery Sets and Plates” to label a box that contains your crockery sets and plates. The more organized you will be during packing, the more efficient you will be at the time of unpacking your kitchen boxes.
Packing Kitchen Dishes
Items like plates, chinaware and other dishware are generally in fragile in nature. They must be packed with utmost care using plenty of padding supplies in sturdy boxes. Dish-pack boxes are the best for packing such items. Here are the right techniques to pack such fragile items of kitchen.
- Prepare the box and line the bottom of the box with crumpled papers, dish towels or bubble wrap
- Wrap individual plat in two or three layers of blank newsprint paper.
- Fold the paper and use the same between every two plates.
- Put one individually wrapped plate on top of the other, until you get a set of five or six plates nested in one another.
- Wrap the entire nested set in one more layer of bubble wrap and tape the entire set together.
- Always stack your plates in a vertical position. Flat position may cause damage to the bottom due to the weight of the above plates.
- Place padding material on sides of the boxes before placing them in the box.
- Shut the box and seal it using heavy duty shipping packaging tape.
Packing Kitchen Glasses
Glassware likes glasses, bottles and stemware are also types of breakable items. If they are not handled properly then they may get damaged during transportation. Hence it is crucial to wrap and pack them with utmost care. Dish barrels or cell-divided boxes are the best to pack such items. You also need to know the right techniques to pack wine glasses, and other stemware securely. Get the benefits of the following techniques.
- Wrap individual glasses properly using bubble wraps or clean paper.
- Take a glass and stuff it with crumpled clean paper or some clean soft fabrics.
- You can also use socks or old newspapers to stuff the glass.
- Wrap the individual stem with bubble wrap.
- Place the individually wrapped glass in cells of the dish-barrel box or cell-divided box.
- If you are not using cell-divided box then wrap the entire glass set in an extra layer of wrapping sheet or bubble wrap.
- Use box sealing tape to hold the wrapping securely in place.
- Keep your glasses in the container or box upright with their mouths facing downwards only.
- After finishing the first row, place a protective layer or cardboard before starting the second row.
- Make sure there is no empty space in the box.
- Use crumpled papers to fill remaining room inside the box.
- Use plenty of padding supplies to make the box tight.
- Seal the box securely and label it on all sides “FRAGILE – GLASSES” except the bottom of the box.
1. Refrigerator packing tips
- Clear out all the contents including freezer items from the refrigerator.
- Remove shelves and drawers and clean them with cotton clothes.
- Switch of the power of the refrigerator at least 24 hours to allow it defrosted.
- Coil the cord loosely and tape it at the size of the refrigerator to keep it secure.
- Make the refrigerator clean and dry, and put a sachet of baking soda inside to remove the odour.
- Use the plastic wrapping sheet to wrap the entire refrigerator piece tightly.
- You can also use moving blankets or old blankets to wrap the refrigerator or other large appliances.
- Proper wrapping will protect your appliances against scratches and dents.
- Use lots of packaging tape to make the wrapping more secure.
- Wrap shelves of your refrigerator separately. You can tape them together or pack in a separate box.
- Use the right appliance dolly to move or slide the refrigerator.
2. Dishwasher packing tips
Pack dishware properly using the following tips and techniques.
- First of all, read the user manual properly before packing up your dishware for a move.
- Removal all dishes from the dishware.
- Tape to secure the racks and silverware basket.
- Tape the door and shut it properly.
- Detach the hose and cord from the dishware, if it can be, or tape the same to the dishwasher.
- Tie a large pad around the dishwasher and then place it inside the box.
- Don’t forget to label the box.
Hire trustworthy packers and movers
Hiring a trustworthy moving company (packers and movers gandhidham) is crucial for safe and hassle-free transportation of household belongings from one place to another. Do proper research on hiring the dependable and experienced packers and movers companies available in your city. Get recommendations from your friends, relatives, and colleagues. Don’t hire services from a single mover that you meet first just because they are recommended by one of our close friends. Keep them in the pipeline and explore other options too. Verify the credibility, experience, reputation, license, insurance and background of movers and packers on your own. Get in-home estimates from licensed and experienced movers. Compare the rates before making a final deal with one of the licensed and trustworthy packers and movers.
Plan unpacking at your new residence
Needless to mention that your kitchen will be the very first important room you will want to unpack after shifting into your new residence. While movers are unloading appliances then instruct them to place the same at the right place in and around the kitchen. Set up your appliances as soon as possible. The open the box labeled with KITCHEN ESSENTIALS – OPEN ME FIRST. Also, unpack other boxes that you may need to prepare food. Prepare food so that you can get yourself recharged and do other tasks with efficiency. If you are extremely tired and don’t want to prepare the food on your own, then you may order food online. Swiggy and Zomato are very popular food delivering apps.
Have a stroke of good luck on your move!