A down comforter is not just used for cold places. They are available in all kinds of colours, qualities, and sizes for you to sleep coolly or warm you on chilly nights. Because down is lightweight, it is one of the most sought after comforters and blankets.
Here are some of the benefits of using down comforters:
– They are breathable: Down comforters are airy, light, and prevent moisture build-up under the covers. It is their lightness that allows the cover to breathe at night and lets you sleep soundly without getting too hot or too cold.
– They are hypoallergenic: Apart from its breathable nature that keeps the moisture out, it also prevents other allergens, such as dust mites, to accumulate. As a result, you are able to sleep better, especially if you are prone to dust allergies or suffering from asthma.
– They are malleable: Down comforters are pliable covers that wrap easily around your body without causing any strain on your muscles.
– Keeps your body temperature in check: Considered to be nature’s best insulators, down covers are lightweight and keep you warm without causing too much heat under the covers. Hence, it is able to regulate your body temperature so you stay warm in winters and cool in summers.
– Long-term investment: A typical down comforter and pillow can last you upto 20 years if you care for it properly. They are known for its longevity and machine washability. Since they are so durable, down comforters and beddings are considered to be a great investment.
Despite its many advantages, it is advised to keep a certain things in mind before buy luxurious down comforter for your bedding.
How warm do you like to sleep?
Some people like to sleep with layers of blankets on them while there are others who prefer a light layer even in the coldest weather. Since down blankets and comforters come in wide range of fills and weights, it is better you have an idea about how you like to sleep. For instance, don’t buy a heavy comforter if you stay in a place with warm climate.
Size of your bed
The biggest mistake people make is assuming that all down comforters will fit their bed perfectly. Take proper measurements and look for a blanker that match your bed. If you have a queen bed, then don’t confuse it with a queen size comforter. Keep in mind that you may want your comforter to drop by the sides of the bed. So don’t make the mistake of buying a size too small.
Fill power you need
According to the experts, fill power is a term used to determine the quality of down. Needless to say, the larger the fill power, the stronger the clusters of down will be. Large clusters breathe better and last much longer than smaller down clusters. So, if you stay in a cold place and want a comforter for proper warmth, then be sure to compare the fill power offered by different manufacturers. There is no value in buying more than you need, but don’t buy too little either.
Define your budget
Down comforters can be incredibly expensive because they are made of pure white goose down with hypoallergenic benefits. If you have a budget constraint, then you may have to look for a lower grade of goose down or combination of down and feathers. Even though these alternatives are equally comfortable, they may not give you the same quality and longevity. But if you want the real deal and it seems outside your budget, then keep an eye out for sale to get the one you really want.
Even though down comforter appears to be soft and fluffy, sometimes they leak through the fabric that holds them together. This is why it is necessary to buy a cover with high thread count that can provide you with leakproof coverage. This way, you will no longer have to worry about the down or feathers sneaking out of your comforter. Many companies also go the extra mile and seal the edges to prevent these leaks from happening.
A comforter without a cover is known as a duvet. In order to take care of your expensive comforter, you must consider buying a duvet cover. It will not only protect your blanket from dust but also add some weight as well as a decorative cover. Moreover, these covers are easily washable and much easier to maintain than the full size comforter.
Keep all these things in mind when you are looking to buy an expensive down comforter for your bed. Remember that it is well worth the money because you are investing in good quality sleep.